Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shiny Girl of the Month

Melissa McCarthy made a public remark, that made me very proud to be a woman. Making up of course, for another female who's comment made me sick.

While the majority of the world has been cheering on Melissa's sudden shot to stardom (she pretty much MADE Brides Maids lol), Maura Kelly, a blogger for Marie Claire decided to take a jab. "So, anyways, yes I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two people with rolls, and rolls of fat kissing," she regarded of Melissa and her costar's plus-sized characters on the CTV hit, Mike And Molly. "Because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them do anything."

It's a perfect example of woman-on-woman hate. After centuries of being suppressed and stereotyped, females are meant to band together and support one another. There's already so much working against us, adding to each other's demise is completely unnecessary.

I realize that while we have fought for our female rights, we've also fought for our rights as human beings, including the right to freedom of speech. Ms. Kelly is entirely entitled to her own opinion, yes. However an opinion like THAT should be kept to one's self, not published on a world-read website Never mind the fact that it's a website for a pro-women publication. So backwards it's gross.

Melissa however came to the rescue of my faith in our kind. She could have (deservingly) replied with curse words, or stats proving that, fat or not, she is more successful then this blogger may ever be, she said something so profound.

"I hope that she doesn't have a daughter."

I mean, right?

I took having had a supportive, and encouraging in my early years, for granted I suppose. I can't imagine who I might be, standing here today, if my mother had gone around calling women sluts, or encouraging me to go on a diet at 8 years old. I've always wanted to be a writer, this woman blogging for a famous publication could have easily been my idol back then. And I'd have just learned, basically, that as a professional female it's ok to tear down others.

Melissa McCarthy hasn't let her size get in the way of being successful. And she hasn't let her success get in the way of pointing out what's really important. And that makes her pretty damn Shiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment